- List key markets in size order.
- Add countries where competitors will manufacture.
- Add other particularly important countries for logistics – eg. is there a country that everyone will have to transit through?
- Review and reorder the list based on overall strategic importance with the above factors in mind.
- Get a quote from your patent attorney or a specialist national phase entry firm (if you’d previously filed a PCT).
- Go down the list until you hit your budget limit.
[This post originally appeared at duncanbucknell.com.]